Fairmount Driving Tour of Historic Houses
If you are interested in our neighborhood, we would like to to point out a few interesting houses as you drive through. We hope you will print out this page and take it with you to learn more about some of the architecture and history. This list is organized in order of street and block so if you start on Hurley Avenue entering from Magnolia you can follow the addresses for a great driving tour and mini history lesson. We hope you have a great time and also visit some of the wonderful area businesses while you are in Fairmount.
1. 1329 Hurley Avenue, c. 1910. Built for W.F. Harding, this small wood-frame house is unusual for its interlocking gambrel roofs. The accentuated eaves create a “bonnet” effect. The style is sometimes called “Dutch Colonial Revival” and was common to the era but relatively rare in Fairmount. Most other examples of this style in the district were saved from demolition in the nearby medical district and moved in the last few decades.
2. 1601 Hurley Avenue, c. 1905. A two-story late Queen Anne style with classical revival detailing, the home had been broken up into a duplex for many years. Later owners completely restored the house and returned it to a single family. Outstanding features include stenciling and decorative painting. The original staircase, which had been torn out when the house was subdivided, has been reproduced and replaced. Three original coal burning fireplaces with oak mantels remain. Home Tour – 1991, 1997.
3. 1717 Hurley Avenue, Naylor-Moses House, c.1909. A two-story gabled house, stucco on a wood-frame, with applied half-timbering. A two-story gabled portico has squat columns with exaggerated ionic capitals. The house was built for John Naylor, a ranchman. Wolff Moses, a shoemaker, purchased the property in 1919. It remained in the Moses family until 1948.
4. 1805 Hurley Avenue, c.1915. This house is a two-story Dutch Revival-style home and constructed here about 1915. It was chosen as the 1986 Home of the Year Award by the Greater Fort Worth Board of Realtors. Although little is known about past occupants, it is known that the house sold in 1934 for $1,800. Home Tour – 1987.
5. 1801 Fairmount Avenue, Tillery House, c. 1909. This large two-story wood-frame house has gabled bays protruding from a hipped block and is a derivative of the late Queen Anne ‘free classic’ style. A hipped gallery-like porch with Tuscan columns wraps around the two principal facades. It was built for Robert Lee Tillery, an assessor and notary public with an office in the county courthouse, and remained in the Tillery family until 1959.
6. 1710 Fairmount Avenue, c. 1906. This two-story home displays the typical turn-of-the century vernacular style, with late Queen Anne free classic influence, including the diamond-paned Queen Anne windows, Tuscan columns and dentil molding. The house is one of the only homes left in Fairmount with the period decorative roof crests once common on most early homes of the district. The original owner, Alfred J. Peacock, was a carpenter and builder who may have built his own home. The second owners of the house were a family by the name of Maples, whose oldest son was almost killed by the streetcar that ran down Fairmount Avenue in the 20s. The home suffered a fire in 2004 and was carefully restored for the second time. Home Tour – 1985, 1988, 1992, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2012.
7. 1700 Fairmount Avenue, Davies House, c.1904. This late Queen Anne style house was built by Arthur Davies – a brick mason – as his own personal residence. It was unusual for it’s brick construction when it was built and was the first residence on this block. The home was restored around its 100th anniversary. Home Tour – 2006, 2009.
8. 1330 Sixth Avenue, Lusher House, c. 1895. What may be the oldest intact residence remaining in the historic district, this wood-frame home started as a smaller house with a unique symmetrical composition consisting of two three-sided bays with peaked roofs projecting forward from a rectangular main wing with truncated hip roof. It was built for Henry W. Lusher, co-owner of the Lusher and Rockett, “Carpenters, Contractors, Planing Mill, makers of windows and doors.” The front porch has slender turned posts with delicate jig-sawed brackets and spindled frieze. It also originally had a separate porch running down the south façade. The earliest recorded owner was Henry W. Lusher.
9. 1730 Sixth Avenue, Benton House, 1898. Meredith A. Benton, a native of Vermont, was an executive with the Lorillard Tobacco Co. who traveled extensively in North Texas and the Indian Territory, now Oklahoma. He moved to Fort Worth with his wife, Ella Belle, around 1898 and took possession of this house, built under the supervision of his father, William A. Benton, a contractor from Kansas City. It is a fine model of a late Victorian vernacular Queen Anne residence, with wrap-around porch supported by lathed posts and ornamental brackets, decorative shingles and intricate gable braces. It was still owned by descendants of Meredith and Ella Belle Benton until 2011, who remembered that as children they could sit on the front porch and see the county courthouse downtown. The house was designated a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark in 1971. The exterior of the house, and its white picket fence which were restored in 1996 and again in 2010, was depicted in the original logo of the Fairmount Association. It is the first home constructed in the Fairmount Addition, and one of the oldest in Fairmount Southside Historic District. Home Tour 1984, 1986, 1989, 1998, 2012. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark — 1971.
10. 1825 Sixth Avenue, c.1912. Early owners of this elegantly restored American Foursquare home included respected businessman A.B. Brann and J.H. Allison, general manager of the Fort Worth Record, an early newspaper. While undergoing extensive restoration in 1982, the structure was gutted by fire; however, through painstaking work, it was beautifully resurrected by a group of neighborhood investors called the Mid-South Real Estate Rescuers the following year. The house is a very good example of an American Foursquare with Prairie-style influences, particularly in the horizontal spread of its wide boxed eaves. Additions to the north and rear sides were recently added. Home Tour – 1984, 1989, 1994.
11. 1829 Sixth Avenue, c. 1908. Originally a one-story wood-frame house with rectangular plan, hip roof and clapboard siding. A full recessed porch is treated as a shingled arcade, with shallow arches, resting on brick pedestals. A gable portico, one bay wide, with similar detailing, extends from one side. The house underwent an extensive renovation with a sensitive second story attic conversion in 1995.
12. 1830 Sixth Avenue, Reeves Apartments, c. 1917. A two-story apartment building clad in dark ochre brick, compactly planned with recessed porches on the second story. The brackets beneath the flat roof overhang are visually reinforced by vertical cast-stone bands on the walls. The structure was built for Mrs. Georgia F. Reeves, and its design has been attributed to noted local architect L.B. Weinman. It may be eligible for individual National Register listing as one of a group of early, well-designed apartment buildings in the Southside.
13. 1900 Sixth Avenue, c. 1908. Built as two apartments, this two-story rectangular house features brick walls, an elaborate front portico and hip roof clad in metal which simulates Spanish tile. The original owner was Alexander Moore, co-owner of a grocery store. Home Tour – 1990.
14. 2108 Sixth Avenue, Martin-Campbell House, c. 1915. A good example of a true Arts and Crafts inspired bungalow, this cross-gabled house is constructed entirely of rubble stone and clinker brick. The gable of the portico has exposed timber trusses. The house was built for Mrs. Julia Martin, widow of Sidney Martin (1828-1903), a prominent Fort Worth merchant who had been president of the Martin-Brown Mercantile Co. She sold the house to Mrs. Belle Campbell in 1922. Mrs. Campbell’s son and daughter-in-law resided here through the 1940s. August M. Campbell was vice president of the General Construction Co., recipient of many Fort Worth street-paving contracts. The bungalow is locally unusual in its use of materials, but very similar to the bungalows of southern California where the style flourished. Home Tour – 1986.
15. 2217 Sixth Avenue, c. 1920. This prairie-style airplane bungalow was built by J.D. Hawk, an officer of the Mohawk Oil Company, known to be quite a wildcatter in the early days of Fort Worth. The home contains fine examples of Craftsman and Prairie detailing, including built-in window seats, bookcases and cabinets. The large front porch wraps around the house, taking full advantage of the summer breezes. Home Tour – 1992.
16. 1909 Fifth Avenue, Axtell House, c. 1910. A one-story rectangular wood-frame house with gable roof, clad in narrow clapboard siding. A full porch, recessed beneath the shingled gable end, has paired posts with unusual corbelled capitals. Large ornamental brackets are set beneath the wide roof overhang. The cottage was built by contractor R.W. McDonald for Adam and Susan Vera, who sold the house less than a year later to Jay M. Axtell, who lived here through the mid-1920s. Axtell was co-owner of the Axtell Co., manufacturers of windmills, well drilling equipment, and related mechanical items.
17. 1251 West Magnolia Avenue, c.1926. The earliest development on West Magnolia began in the ‘teens with the streetcar line. Many Fairmount residents operated their own small businesses on Magnolia, Hemphill and Eighth Avenue. This structure first opened as Federal Tire Center, and had several owners until 1933 when Mr. A.W. Goldstein opened Magnolia Avenue Service Station. Next door, at 1253 West Magnolia, O.L. Elliott opened a dry cleaners in 1929, which remained in operation until the early 1960s. The restored building is an excellent example of adaptive reuse of an historic structure. Home Tour – 1991 as Magnolia Workshop, a restoration business.
18. 1227 West Magnolia Avenue, Magnolia Centre, c. 1924. Magnolia Centre is a three-story classic revival building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was constructed as a fraternal hall for the Masonic Lodge No. 1114. Over the years, it has housed a variety of commercial businesses, including a mortuary in the basement and a used furniture firm. Under the guidance of Ray Boothe and Associates architects, the original three lodge auditoriums have been converted into office space for a number of small businesses and professionals. The main auditorium on the second floor retains its dramatic proscenium arch. The grand lobby is accented with blue granite and marble as well as two centrally located, glass-backed elevators. As with several other buildings which line this stretch of Magnolia Avenue, the exterior of the structure has been restored to its original early 20th century character and charm. It stands as an excellent example of modern adaptive reuse of an old commercial building. Home Tour – 1986, 1993.
19. 1228 S. Henderson / 1204 West Magnolia Avenue, Mehl Building, c. 1916. This beautiful three story building with Craftsman details and suspended two story bay windows sat vacant and in near condemned status for almost three decades until it’s recent restoration and new life. Maxmillian Mehl was one of the premier coin collectors and dealers of the first half of the 20th century, having put together collections for both Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchill. He had this structure designed by leading Fort Worth architect Wiley G. Clarkson, who also designed his home in nearby Ryan Place about ten years later. His private office had it’s own lovely Romaneque style cast-stone entrance visible at east corner of the Magnolia façade.
20. 1714 South Henderson Street, Rosen House Inn, c. 1910. A large two-story wood-frame house with rectangular plan and hip roof. The house has full porches on each of its principal facades, joined by a wrap-around terrace. It was built for William M. Robinson, proprietor of a downtown saloon. Though ravaged by a spectacular fire in 1990, it has been elegantly restored by a previous owner, it became a bed and breakfast in 2011. Home Tour – 1998.
21. 1600 South Adams, c. 1911. This high-style Craftsman bungalow was built for Samuel Carnahan, general yardmaster for the Texas and Pacific Railroad. The house retains many unique features, including three coal-burning fireplaces. Original woodwork remains throughout the house, with a special inlay of hardwood flooring in the dining room. Former owners have beautifully restored this fine example of the Craftsman style of architecture which began in California at the turn of the century, and led to the proliferation of the popular bungalow houses across America. It is one of a handful of catalogue homes by California designer, Henry L. Wilson. Home Tour – 1989, 2000.
22. 1408 South Adams, c. 1909. This stylish Arts and Crafts era bungalow was built by John W. Broad and remains structurally unchanged after 80 years. Special features include ten original diamond-shaped glass windows, ten-foot picture-framed beamed ceilings and original lighting fixtures. A previous owner, Peter S. Colius, owned and operated a café at Magnolia and Henderson Streets, typical of the many small business owners living and working in Fairmount in the neighborhood’s early years. Home Tour – 1989.
23. 1404 South Adams, Berry-Weber House, c. 1907. This was the first residence built in the subdivision named Swastika Place, by D.T. Bomar and John W. Broad. In its accentuated brackets and other wood detailing, it shows the influence of Craftsman-style houses on the West Coast, the epicenter of the Arts and Crafts movement, and where Broad lived from 1896-1906. The interior displays many elements of that style, including built-in window seats, box-beamed ceilings, and an elaborate though-tenoned oak fireplace with a built in Stickley style clock. The first owner was George S. Berry, a retired banker from West Texas. Charles K. Lee, later state bar president, bought the house in 1914. From 1944 to 2002, it was owned by Mrs. Gunhild Weber, a native of Norway and former Fort Worth business executive. The house was donated by Weber to Historic Fort Worth Inc., who sold the house and saw to it’s restoration in 2003. Home Tour – 2007. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark — 1978.
24. 1800 Washington Avenue, Cowan-Kuhlman House, c. 1901. Originally a one-story wood-frame house featuring a steeply pitched main wing with gabled bays projecting from the front and side. A shed-roofed porch is supported by tapering Tuscan columns on stone bases. In 2000 an attic conversion became a second floor and the house was almost doubled in size by a matching rear extension. The house is notable for its well-preserved detailing, which includes bargeboard, gable braces, ornamental shingles and quaint five-sided dormer. Built by Andrew Cowan, a contractor and stone and brick mason, it was occupied for many years by the Kuhlman family. Fred M. Kuhlman was a contractor who specialized in road paving, fireproofing and reinforced concrete construction. Home Tour – 2012.
25. 1801 Washington Avenue, Ninnie L. Baird Home, c. 1901. This vernacular cottage built at the end of the Victorian era was first owned by George W. Blue, who co-owned a concrete and road paving business with his neighbor across the street, Fred Kuhlman. Their offices were located downtown in the iconic Flatiron Building. The more significant history belongs to the family who rented the house from 1910 to 1918, and in particular, the woman who built up her baking business here in the home’s backyard following the death of her husband in 1911. Having eight children to raise on her own, Ninnie Baird baked her way into a multi-million dollar family business, the staple of which, her bread, would make Mrs. Baird’s Bread become a household name and industry that thrives today. Her sons delivered the bread and other baked goods daily from the back of a horse-drawn homemade delivery wagon throughout what is now the Fairmount district and for miles beyond.
26. 2232 College Avenue, Grammer-Pierce House, 1915. A 1916 classified ad in the Star-Telegram once claimed purchasing this home would give you “complete happiness” and the “courage to go forward.” With its open-trussed vaulted timbered porch, deep and wide, it is an excellent example of a California Craftsman style bungalow. Many interior Arts and Crafts era details include a built-in colonnade and bookshelves, boxed beam ceilings, brick and tiled fireplace, built-in sideboard with leaded glass cabinets and other beautifully finished original woodwork. The home was owned for several years by Mrs. Nathaniel E. Grammer, whose family owned and ran the well-known Grammer Drug Store across from the county courthouse on the square. It was one of the most prominent businesses in Fort Worth, growing to be the largest and most modern drug store in the city of its day, and in 1920 was listed as the second oldest merchant business in the city, having been opened by her husband in 1885. Home Tour – 2015. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark — 2015.
27. 2212 College Avenue, c. 1913. This fine home with its spreading eaves reflects the basic design of a foursquare house with Prairie elements in its wide boxed eaves, and late Victorian-era influence in the L-plan shape and unusual design of its “horseshoe” gable. It stands today as an example of an appropriate restoration rescue, by its present owner in the 1980s, of what had become a windowless substandard house. Home Tour – 1985-1986.
28. 1952 College Avenue, R.E.L. Roy House, c. 1905. After nearly a year of red tape and struggle, this house, one of the few remaining turreted Queen Annes in Fort Worth, was moved intact into Fairmount in 1994. It was saved from the wrecking-ball in the 2300 block of Hemphill, where it had been converted into offices and a dormitory for the Edna Gladney Home. Records show it was owned for over 40 years by Judge Robert E. Lee Roy, a Fort Worth City Attorney and later, 17th District Court Judge. Home Tour – 2004.
29. 1816 College Avenue, Eitelman House, 1909. M.A. Eitelman, proprietor of Eitelman and Son Blacksmiths, had this two-story residence built. It is constructed of rough-faced concrete blocks which simulate stone. Porch columns punch through the roof where they are integrated into a roof terrace balustrade. The house is significant as an early and impressive local example of concrete block construction. At one time the Eitelman’s next door neighbors at 1812, the Gilchrist family, had a cement block making factory in their backyard. Gilchrist, who was a stonemason, was likely was involved in the construction of his neighbor’s house.
30. 1801 College Avenue, c. 1924. The structure was first occupied by Gaither Drug Store in one side and Piggly Wiggly Food store #15 in the other, one of the first new Piggly Wiggly franchises in Fort Worth. The building was later used for a storage warehouse for Tastee Pie Company, which occupied the property across Jefferson. The building still has its original tin ceiling. The Old Home Supply House opened in this location in 1988 and offers a wide variety of restoration and renovation supplies, restored and as-found architectural antiques, as well as select imports. Interesting features added to the building are the front double doors, with their “SJH” monogram in etched glass. These are the original front doors that once graced the old Saint Joseph Hospital, and are now over 110 years old. Home Tour – 1981, 1995.
31. 2109 Alston Avenue, c. 1912. This beautiful example of the American foursquare design, was built by famous stunt pilot and silent movie star, Ormer Locklear. Like many foursquares, the home is clad in narrow clapboards on the first story, and wood shingles on the second, rendering what is known as a “shirtwaist” house. According to owner’s research who first restored the house, Ormer Locklear was great uncle of Hollywood actress, Heather Locklear. Home Tour – 1985, 1993, 1995, 1999.
32. 2220 Alston Avenue, c.1913. The exterior siding of this bungalow is not common in Fairmount, being covered from bottom up in cedar shingles. Along with its arcaded porch this house borrows from the shingle style more common in the northeastern U.S. It was purchased by Louis A. and Nona Forbess Greene in 1918 and they lived here into the 1920s. Early photos of their home’s interior just after they moved in proudly display the couple’s modern mission style furniture of the day, their unfussy taste with simple hand-made items decorating the home, and a beautiful built-in buffet with leaded glass cabinets of a uniquely Moorish design.
33. 2264 Lipscomb Street, Matson-Berry House, c. 1903. B.S. Matson commissioned the William Bryce Construction Company to build this stylish brick residence adorned with many Classical Revival details popular in that day. Bryce’s company built several of Fort Worth’s prominent residences including Thistle Hill, the famous cattle baron mansion. The Matson’s retained ownership until 1916. The house had a number of owners until purchased by the Berry family in 1937, who retained ownership until 1974. The one-story house has a rectangular plan and hip roof. The hipped front porch has decorative brackets, an ornamental gable over the central stairs, and clusters of slender Tuscan columns on brick bases. The house is an early, excellent example of fine residential brick construction on a smaller scale. Home Tour – 2001, 2014.
34. 2251 Lipscomb Street, c. 1906. This home’s steeply-pitched roof and fish-scale-shingled gable, contrasted by the low wide gable of the front porch suggests that the entire porch was reconstructed sometime before or during the 1920s. This practice, not uncommon in well-off neighborhoods, was an effort to keep current with the rapidly changing styles of architecture. The house was built by Edwin H. Wallace, a stockman at the Fort Worth Stockyards. It became a boarding house in the 1940s, then returned to a single family home in 1900. In 1996 it became Bloomsbury House Bed and Breakfast, but returned to single family in 1999. Home Tour – 1995, 1997
35. 2223 Lipscomb Street, c. 1918-1920. A masterpiece of residential stone construction, This house was built by stonemason J.B. Huffman at a cost of about $80,000. Huffman owned a stone yard near Pioneers’ Rest Cemetery and participated in the construction of a number of important public buildings in Texas. These included the Graham County Courthouse, as well as the old federal building and post office in Fort Worth – now demolished. The house is constructed of grey Indiana limestone blocks, quarry-faced and laid in regular horizontal courses. A full front porch and side-pergola utilize stone Tuscan columns. The house has a staggered plan with interlocking hip roofs of green tile. The family lived here another 30 years after the death of J.B. Huffman in 1925.
36. 2221 Lipscomb Street, Huffman-Pannill House, c. 1914. J.B. Huffman, master stonemason, designed and built this house. He lived here until 1918, when he began construction on a new residence next door. The house was rented out until 1929, then sold to attorney William Pannill, whose family lived here until 1974. Pannill was a partner with John Hiner in the firm of Hiner and Pannill, attorneys for several oil companies. The 18-inch thick walls are of ashlar construction, with dressed blocks of Pecos red sandstone laid in regular courses. A full porch with Tuscan columns extends across the front. It is an excellent example of stone construction by a master craftsman. Home Tour – 1986, 1987.
37. 2201 Lipscomb Street, Wimberly House, c. 1925. This stately Georgian Revival brick house was built in 1925 for Fred W. Wimberly, owner of Fort Worth automobile and advertising agencies. The house features a hipped roof, gabled bay windows, and Tuscan columns. The house was originally designed as a duplex with the upstairs as a mirror image of the downstairs, but became single family in 1993. The huge front porch features slate imported from England and arched windows in the dining room. Home Tour – 1994, 2002, 2006.
38. 2200 Lipscomb Street, c. 1909. This two-story Gambrel roof “Dutch” home is an example of sensitive infill housing. Nearby residents obtained this house from 1016 Washington Avenue and moved it to its present location, saving it from demolition. After careful renovation, a totally new house was created with the character of an old one. The result is that an old house is saved from wasteful wreckage and a vacant lot is filled with a structure that blends into the neighborhood. Home Tour – 1988, 1995.
39. 2112 Lipscomb Street, c. 1907. This unusual early foursquare was constructed by a Mr. Alvis, one of the developers of the Bellevue Subdivision, an area which included this portion of Lipscomb Avenue. The Walker Moore family lived here from 1914 through the 1970s. Family member Bill Moore, was a decorated flying ace hero of World War I. Walker Moore taught music and elocution lessons in the music room just off the living room. Transitional in its design, the house is covered in clapboard on the ground floor, with shingles above. The second story bay windows, with Queen Anne diamond panes, were often found in earlier designs. In contrast, the interior beamed ceilings, Craftsman style front door and woodwork, point to the more modern tastes appearing in the early 1910s and 20s. The massive, urn-like porch columns set on concrete blocks are unique in Fairmount. Home Tour – 1987, 1993.
40. 2101 Lipscomb Street, c. 1905. This majestic house built on this hilltop overlooking Lipscomb Street was owned by Dr. T.C. Terrell, a prominent Fort Worth physician and civic leader, who lived here from 1919 until the 1940s. Terrell was a director of the Methodist Hospital in 1932 and medical director of All Saints Hospital in 1937. While he was on the staff of the old Fort Worth School of Medicine, he provided rooms to his most promising students, including Dr. May Owens. Ethel Binyon of the Binyon O’Keefe Moving Company family later lived there. Former owners meticulously restored the house by gutting and renovating the interior, stripping and refinishing the woodwork, and restoring the exterior by removing a number of “sidings” – aluminum, vinyl, and asbestos – added over the years. Home Tour – 1990, 1995.
41. 2100 Lipscomb Street, c. 1910. Ionic capitals top the four large columns that support the spacious front porch of this handsome foursquare, which appears to be a blend of many architectural influences. The house was built by the Bone family, and later given to their daughter as a wedding gift. Home Tour – 1986, 1993, 1995.
42. 1701 Lipscomb Street, Chase Ct., 1906. This tiny neighborhood court was platted in 1906 by the Consolidated Improvement and Construction Company, but was once the large estate of businessman, E.E. Chase. He purchased the land around 1890 and began construction on a palatial two and half story Queen Anne Victorian home, constructed of native cut limestone block. The windmill and carriage house/ stables were larger than most homes in Fairmount today. Chase lost the property shortly after the Panic of 1893, same year the main house burned to the ground, with nothing but the stone walls partially remaining.
43. No.9 Chase Court, La Beaune Carriage House/ Garage, c.1919. Although the main structure for which this carriage house was built was demolished many decades ago, the notable fact remains that this English Revival style structure was built using the stone from the original 1893 Chase stables, which stood on this same spot and remained until the lots were purchased by the Dr. Gilbert La Beaune for his new home.
44. No.13 Chase Court, c.1926. This compactly scaled brick home is unusual in Fairmount for it’s Colonial Revival style and side-gabled gambrel roof, and symmetrical design, including the paired French doors and end wall chimneys. It was built for Hugh and Estelle Calhoun.
45. No. 3 Chase Court, Dr. Clay Johnson House, 1910. Built for a noted physician and civic leader who also served for many years on the Fort Worth Board of Education, this home was designed by architects Waller and Field, who also designed many of the early public school buildings in Fort Worth. With it’s blocky massing and flat terraced roofs horizontal lines, the house exhibits design elements of both the Beaux Arts and Prairie styles. Home Tour — 2013. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark — 1983.
46. No.4 Chase Court, Former location of the rebuilt Chase Home, c.1900. On this lot once stood the remodeled version of the original three and half story stone E. E. Chase mansion. After catching fire under reportedly “dubious circumstances”, the insurance would only cover rebuilding the home as a one and a half story in the Queen Anne style, using the original stone. That home was then moved, stone intact, to lot No.4 as the property sold to developers who created the new court. It was purchased and lived in for many years by the Rall family. E. G. Rall was a grain magnate and one of the investors in the development company that built Chase Court. The granite carriage step with the Rall name on it now sits in front of No.1 Chase Court. A stone outline of the home among the grass, including it’s rounded turret, is all that remains of the original home after it burned once again and was demolished in the 1960s.
47. 1419 Lipscomb Street, c. 1909. The slope of the gable roof of this two-story wood-frame house extends forward to become a porch supported by Tuscan columns. A dormer-like bay, gabled with eave returns, extends above the porch. The house was built for Frank L. Stearns, a plumber, and remained in the Stearns family until 2003 when it was restored. Home Tour — 2014
48. 2200 Hemphill, Reeves-Walker House, c. 1907. This striking two and a half story mansion was built for William Reeves, a prominent stockbroker. The design is attributed to English architect, Arthur Messer, of Sanguinet and Messer—a prominent Fort Worth firm at the beginning of the 20th Century. John L. Walker, a Realtor and president of the Walker Grain Company, purchased it in 1917. It was used as the Zapata Funeral Home from 1967 until the1990s, when it was renovated as offices for James Stanley, a Fort Worth attorney. Prominent features include a hipped block with gabled bays projecting to the front and sides, heavily corniced eaves supported by ornate brackets, a terrace wrapping around the front and side, supported by clusters of columns with floral capitals. Tall chimneys provide a notable silhouette. One interior bathroom is accented in tiles made by the famous Van Briggle Pottery Company of Colorado. A gabled brick carriage house is at the rear of the property. The Reeves-Walker house is an example of how professionals and businesses can tastefully adapt older buildings for modern day needs. Home Tour – 1990, 1995, 2003. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark — 1984.
— A special thank you to Michael McDermott for updating and compiling this list.